Here is Exclusive Books’ recommended reading list for June.
South African authors have upped their writing games during lockdown, and these are a few of newest titles to satisfy your curiosity from Virus Proofing Your Small Business to musings on a Facebook wall in Electric Graffiti by Gus Silber to Kirsten Miller’s refreshingly told story All That Is Left and Kefilwe Mabote’s personal journey, from humble beginnings in Soweto, all the way to the world’s fashion capital, Milan and Nobuntu Webster’s The Fire challenges religion, racism, patriarchy, and poverty within and outside the church.
In the non-fiction category there is Alicia Key’s biography of her life growing up in New s to life’s meaning, even in desperate circumstances to Morality by Jonathan Sacks who applies his powerful approach to the unprecedented challenges of our time and Untamed will liberate women – emotionally, spiritually, and physically. Joy at Work by Marie Kondo and Scott Sonenshein is a tidy guide to finding joy at work full of psychological wisdom and practical tips.
The recommended fiction titles includes No.1 Bestseller Harlan Coben’s new title The Boy from the Woods to a multi-layered story of fragrance and evocative power in The Scent Keeper by Erica Bauermeister. In The Recovery of Rose Gold by Stephanie Wrobel two complex characters power the story like a nuclear reaction, to a story about a young woman who believes she’s in a love story when she’s actually in a psychological horror film in My Dark Vanessa and the stunning exquisite, immersive and compelling new title from Maggie O Farrell Hamnet.
The young adult titles for June comprises an easy and fun read about a diverse group of characters, jam-packed with action and adventure in The Boy and the Poacher’s Moon to a page turner from a storming new talent in And the Stars were Burning Brightly and an intoxicating blend of blood, secrets, and haunting mythology in Havenfall. Small Mercies holds a strong message for children today, full of heart, it will shine among the best children’s literature for years to come and The Highland Falcon Thief is packed with clues and red herrings.
On-screen tie-in titles in June are suitable for all tastes from Becoming Michelle Obama to adaptation from Littles Fires Everywhere a deep psychological mystery about the power of motherhood, the intensity of teenage love, and the danger of perfection to the fast-paced, tongue in cheek … laugh-out-loud Artemis Fowl and Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman’s ridiculously inventive and gloriously funny Good Omens and the beautifully constructed… gripping, delightful and true The Letter to the King.
Exclusive Books put in place three new channels to buy books and can now proudly announce all the ways you can order books:
1. Exclusive Books powered by Uber-Eats is the most exciting new way to purchase books. Food for the mind and soul! Simply order your book on the Uber-Eats platform – you will find us as one of the vendors along with your favourite restaurant, order your book as you normally would for food, and get it delivered (still hot) within an hour. Exclusive to Exclusive Books, and available in all SA towns and cities, where there is an Exclusive Books, except Botswana, Namibia and Nelspruit. *
2. Phone-in is a brand-new option. Would you love to chat to a real bookseller, but not so keen to come into the store? Simply phone your local Exclusive Books and complete your transaction over the phone. Your order will be delivered to your doorstep in 36 hours.
3. Insta-shop if you are following us on social? Simply click through from the Exclusive Books Instagram account https://www.instagram.com/exclusivebooks/ and make your purchase.
Delivery to your doorstep in 36 hours.
The following traditional shopping experience remains in place:
1. In-Store is still the best place to browse and the Exclusive Books staff will take due care to ensure the safety of their staff and customers in line with the government, WHO and the NICD. All stores are open will implement weekly deep cleaning, face masks for staff, in-store sanitisers and encourage social distancing.
2. Online via the website www.exclusivebooks.co.za and delivery to your doorstep in 36 hours. (free delivery for order R450 and up) or phone your favourite local store – we will deliver within a 20 km radius of the store for orders R450 and up.